Kraft paper tape is found across a range of applications. For packaging, kraft offers an alternative to plastic, presenting a choice of grades and widths to accommodate and securely seal lightweight to heavy-duty boxes, cartons and mailers. Explore a choice of solutions available in bulk through Packaging HERO®.
Learn about our Free Freight options .
What is Kraft Paper Tape?
With a strength approved by the U.S. Postal Service, kraft paper tape is a flatback, fiberglass-enhanced solution using a rubber or resin adhesive that’s pressure sensitive. Once secured, this packaging tape creates a sturdy bond that remains that way even in moist conditions — indoors and outside. In turn, it’s a versatile, reliable option for sealing boxes, cartons, envelopes and mailers, thanks to its adhesion, tear and tensile strength.
Why Use Kraft Packaging Tape?
Kraft tape — also called gummed tape on occasion due to its adhesive — offers a number of benefits for packing and shipping items:
- Due to its strength and construction, kraft tape can’t be pealed away easily once applied to a package, and it sticks to a range of materials.
- Water-activated paper kraft tape is more sustainable compared to plastic-based materials.
- Minimal pressure is needed to apply kraft tape, making it ideal for high-volume use and packing fragile items.
- Removal requires ripping or applying a box cutter — offering security and clearly indicating if a package experienced tampering in transit.
- Kraft tape suits a range of packaging types, from smaller boxes to larger, heavier cartons.
- The paper surface presents a degree of customization, allowing you to display your logo directly on the tape.
Types of Kraft Tape
Packaging HERO® offers the following types of kraft paper tape in bulk:
- Reinforced water-activated tape: This solution bonds brown paper tape with fiberglass yarn for strength and greater weather resistance.
- Non-reinforced water-activated tape: White or brown paper tape provides a fully recyclable, repulpable and biodegradable solution that’s ideal for paper splicing.
- Central Brand Reinforced WAT Tape: Another fiberglass-reinforced solution, Central Brand kraft paper tape uses starch-based adhesive for greater weather resistance.
- Flatback tape: A heavier-duty paper tape from Industrial or 3M brands accommodates both manual and automatic dispensers.
To order kraft packaging tape for your business, set up an account today. This further lets you save your favorites, track your purchase and access exclusive pricing. Whatever you select, we ship it from our closest distribution center, helping you get what you need, when you need it.